Sedation dentistry is an ideal option for individuals who get anxious about visiting a dentist or having any kind of dental treatment. Dental anxiety is fairly common. Many dentists will tell you that a number of their patients postpone treatments or do not come for a follow up on account of this fear.
Sedation dentistry allows for painless dental treatments, both cosmetic and restorative, reducing patient stress significantly. Talk to your dentist about your dental anxiety and he/she will be able to suggest an appropriate way to reduce your tension.
What are your options in sedation dentistry?
- Your dentist may prescribe a muscle relaxer in the form of a pill which can be taken an hour before your treatment.
- Nitrous gas is another sedation option. A mask is put over your face and you breathe in nitrous gas along with oxygen. It is another form of a muscle relaxer.
- In the case of some patients e.g. children, the dentist may also suggest putting them to sleep (sleep dentistry) during the treatment.
Who needs sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry can help people of all ages, and specifically patients with:
- Physical and mental challenges
- Serious illnesses like cancer, diabetes and heart ailments
- Fear and anxiety issues
- Sensitivity to pain
Watch this video to learn more about sedation dentistry.
The benefits of sedation dentistry:
- Helps you relax and feel less anxious about dental treatments
- Enables painless dental treatments
- Makes for quicker dental procedures as anxiety makes the body tense which can increase the treatment time
- Promotes a comfortable and positive dental experience
- Encourages patients to get the dental care they need
Poor dental health not only affects your teeth and mouth but your overall well-being including your appearance and personality. Sedation dentistry eases dental anxiety enabling you to feel comfortable about getting the dental care that you need.