Holiday greetings from the team at Brodhagen Dental Care! We wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.
As you indulge in delicious food and treats, spare a thought for your teeth and oral health. All the sugary and acidic food and drinks you consume have a significant impact on your dental health. In addition to plaque and tartar build-up, you also face the risk of tooth discoloration from beverages, wine and food coloring. Here are some simple tips to help protect your teeth during all the feasting.
5 Dental Tips for the Thanksgiving Holiday
- Healthy eating: Think of healthier alternatives to your traditional Thanksgiving favorites. For instance, reduce sugar content in desserts and make your own salad dressings. Choose hard cheeses instead of sweet treats.
- Opt for natural colored-foods: Brighten up your table with naturally-colored food to reduce tooth discoloration.
- Limit dark-colored beverages: Whether it is tea and coffee or wine, try and limit your consumption of these teeth-staining drinks.
- Drink more water: It helps reduce the acid attacks (which lead to the formation of bacteria and cavities) caused by sugary and acidic foods/drinks on your teeth.
- Brush and floss regularly: Be extra diligent with your brushing and flossing to remove the remnants of food and drink.
Watch this video to learn about the history of Thanksgiving.
As we convey our holiday greetings, here’s an important bit of advice for healthy teeth during the various celebrations…make it a point to visit your dentist twice a year. Early detection and treatment of problems can help your teeth last a lifetime. Schedule an appointment after Thanksgiving and before the next holiday celebrations begin.